Verse of the Week

And Joshua said unto them, Pass over before the ark of the LORD your God into the midst of Jordan, and take you up every man of you a stone upon his shoulder, according unto the number of the tribes of the children of Israel:

That this may be a sign among you, that when your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean ye by these stones?

Then ye shall answer them, That the waters of Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD; when it passed over Jordan, the waters of Jordan were cut off: and these stones shall be for a memorial unto the children of Israel for ever.

Joshua 4:5-7


I've been noticing a pattern (and yes, I'm supposed to be reading the NEW testament right now...I promised myself I would really focus on the NEW testament this year...so sue me. I'm Jewish at heart and I cant help it.) Anyways. They are always building these stone monuments whenever God does anything for them, so that they can tell the next generation about all of His ways and blessings. I've noticed this before of course, but for some reason every time it comes up in my reading it really hits me lately.

I really like the idea. I mean, obviously I want to tell Zeke about God and about Jesus. I want to tell him and have him know all the stories, old AND new testament. But I also want to tell him something that I dont see shared very often. I want to tell Zeke about what God has done IN MY LIFE. I want him to learn about MY walk with the Lord just as clearly as he learns about Noah's and Paul's.

I think I am going to start a rock garden.

1 comment:

The Butterfields said...

We did something based on this for Jay's parents 40th anniversary last summer: each child brought a rock up and said something nice and made a little pile, and afterwards we had a monument to their lives together and how we want to continue as such examples. It was beautiful, and even the grandkids could contribute.