I went to the dentist and lived to blog about it

Well I wasn't supposed to go in to get my tooth removed until next Wed right? Right. But unfortunately (for me) I am really susceptible to bullying. And I allowed myself to get bullied right into moving my appointment date up. To today.


And if you know me, you know that nothing, I mean NOTHING comes easily when it comes to me. Everything has to be the weirdest, most unique, most painful process anyone has ever heard of. I even remember my mother warning Josh he shouldn't marry me because of this. Unfortunately (for him) he did anyways.

So here is my story of going to the dentist. Squeamish people, don't read on. I'm talking to you, dad.

It was supposed to be so simple. Remove the tooth. Clean out the infection. Look at the jawbone to see if it had to be shaved down or not. Get out.

And it even started simple. It only took 4 doses of the numbing agent to get me numb...because...you know...that stuff just cant work for me like its supposed to...that would be too easy. And then the wiggling and pushing and pulling began. And Dr Stephan (who if you live in Spokane, and you are interested in holistic dentistry I would really recommend) just kept at it, I mean, it really went on and on and on and on. Until my crown broke off. About an hour later. Leaving the rest of the tooth behind.

There must be something we overlooked in the x-ray, says the poor dentist, I've seen stuck wisdom teeth before but not THIS stuck. So we do an x-ray. And while we are waiting for it to process I do a few cold laser treatments for my jaw...which is stretched and sore at this point from all the wiggling and pushing and pulling.

Nope, it seems the only thing we overlooked was the fact that this was MY tooth, and therefore could not possibly come out easily.

So we go to plan 2. Drilling. The plan is basically this: drill the tooth (or what remains of it) into 3 pieces, pry these three pieces as far apart as we can, pull out the middle, and then the sides. Sounds fun right? And it only took another hour and a half (and another 3 numbing shots). Because no matter how much he drilled and wiggled and stuck his tool in between the shards of tooth and pried them apart, they where stuck tight.

What can I say? Its lovely in my mouth. Who would want to leave?

Oh and I forgot to mention all the pus. Yes the pus that was literally shooting out of my mouth as soon as he broke through the tooth. There was a great big pocket of it.

Dr Stephan's comments during all of this: this was one for the record books; in 36 years as a dentist he has never seen such a difficult extraction; he is getting too old for these cases; at least I know that no matter how long I live, I will always have my teeth. Lol. I felt sorry for the guy honestly.

Anyways, they did come out at last. And let me assure you, those were some fatter tooth roots. And as the nurse showed me, they had "balls" sticking out on either side. Anchoring them on. So I got all cleaned out (didnt take long since most of the infection had already shot everywhere) and stitched up where my tooth and jaw used to be, given a few more cold laser treatments, a jaw massage, and sent home with: vitamins C and E, Milk Thistle, Kyolic Garlic, Traumeel tablets (a homeopathic anti-inflammatory), topical Traumeel and my very very favorite, oxycodein.

Here is to another 10 years before my next appointment.


Kait T said...

It's amazing how much we have in common. I was serious too, about dinner. Tell me when I can bring some or else I'll be forced to bring something amazingly scrumptious on Saturday night. :)

Domrese Family Blog said...

Crazy! I have stubborn teeth as well, but being put out for it makes it way less traumatizing. What you went through would traumatize me for life...in fact reading about it might have! I hope you are feeling alright and keeping up on the drugs.

The Butterfields said...

oh, honey!! That sounds just yucky. Hope you're feeling better- let us know if you need anything or just to be Zeke-free and sleep for a few hours...

Jennspiration said...

Wow! That is unbelievable! Like I said...milkshakes-yum yum!

Anonymous said...

I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth removed today..and I cancelled for the 2nd time. This story is not helping my nerves. I am a wimp and allergic to a countless number of pain meds sooooo...basically i should not have read your blog lol. Glad you are okay though and I hope everything heals up properly

Michelle said...

Wow. I am. So. Glad. I never had wisdom teeth. I can't imagine the trauma you went through -- I know I would have had to be knocked out for that. But hey ... at least you know you're special, right?

And thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday on my SITS day. I had so much fun and am still wading through wonderful comments. I hope you enjoyed yourself and that you come back to visit soon!

momma said...

stopping by from sits.

just another reason to avoid the dentist :)

Michelle said...

WOW! and EWWWW!!

Jo said...

Holy CRAP! That's NOT ok. GEEEZZZ!