And the plan that I came up with, the one that I felt most comfortable with, was partial delayed immunization. Our schedule looked like this.
2mo DTaP, Hib(combined shot), Pc
4mo DTaP, Hib(combined shot), Pc
6mo DTaP, Hib(combined shot), Pc
18mo DTaP,Hib(combined shot), Pc
5 years DTaP
10 or 12 years HepB, Hep A, MMR, Chickenpox
*skipped all together were rotovirus and polio (although Mal got the Polio, because my current ped. carried and trusted a combined vac. including it with DTaP, Hib)
Fast forward 3 years and I'm still very happy with that schedule. But, suddenly, we are also thinking and praying very hard about becoming foster parents next year. And one reality of being foster parents is that you are inviting big gov. into your home in a very real way- and big gov. isn't fond of people who write their own schedules. In other words, to get licensing to foster, our own kids need to be caught up on their shots in the next year.
Except for that roto, they don't recommend getting the roto vaccine later then 18 months so we just lucked out on that one ;)
To make a long story short(er) our new schedule ends like this:
2 yrs MMR, Pox(combined shot), Hep B
2.5 yrs Hep A, Hep B
3 yrs Hep A, Hep B
3 yrs MMR, Pox(combined shot), Hep B, Polio
3.5 Hep A, Hep B, Polio
4 yrs Hep A, Hep B, Polio
Mal wont be truly caught up for a year and a half, but by the time we are hoping to apply for licensing (next summer) he will only have the last Hep A and the last Hep B left. If that's not good enough I'm willing to wait an extra 6 months until he is done.
At first I'll admit I was fairly upset about this change in plans. But the more I think about it, the more at peace I am.